Tips On Staging Your Home Before A Sale
Staging your home before a sale can have a major impact on both sales price and time on the market.
According to the National Association of Realtors:
- Forty percent of buyers’ agents cited that home staging had an effect on most buyers’ view of the home.
- Eighty-three percent of buyers’ agents said staging a home made it easier for a buyer to visualize the property as a future home.
- Staging the living room was found to be most important for buyers (47 percent), followed by staging the master bedroom (42 percent), and staging the kitchen (35 percent).
- One-quarter of buyer’s agents said that staging a home increased the dollar value offered between one and five percent, compared to other similar homes on the market that are not staged.
For a $250,000 home, this increase in dollar value could potentially improve your bottom line by a whopping $2,500- $12,500! Now that’s a great investment!
In most instances, proper staging requires decluttering and pre-packing many of the items we accumulate over time. Not only will this process help you earn top dollar on your sale but it will also help spread out the daunting task of moving all of your possessions. It can help to consider hiring a professional organizing and staging company like Seaside Styling & Organizing if you are in the Wilmington area, in order to make the most of your existing space.
The mobile storage industry represents an evolution of the antiquated process of renting a truck and self-storage unit to begin this process. Staging and moving can be made a breeze with mobile storage. No longer do you need to move all your belongings 4x in order to stage. Moving from home to truck, truck to storage unit, and in reverse when moving into your new home. Here at the locally owned and operated Badger Box, we will deliver a mobile storage unit right to your door. You can load it up at your own pace with a convenient monthly rental and once you’ve sufficiently decluttered, we’ll take it back to our facility for storage and safekeeping until your home sells.
When you are ready to move to your new destination, give us a call we will redeliver your loaded mobile storage unit to your new home. By moving and storing this way you’ll save time, headache, and money if hiring moving labor by only moving your belongings twice.
When it comes to packing your storage unit there are several tips and items that we recommend.
- Stretch Wrap
- Bubble Wrap
- Mattress Cover
- Moving Blankets
- Rope or Tie Down Straps
- Disk Lock
Tips For Packing
- Utilizing boxes will help protect your belongings and make it easier to pack your unit by using uniform shape containers. Wrap breakable items with bubble wrap and utilize packing paper if needed. Fill boxes completely to avoid shifting and be sure to label your boxes so you can easily determine where things need to go when unloading.
- Boxes should be packed in the unit with the heaviest boxes on the bottom and the lightest on top.
- Utilize all space within the unit as the tighter things are packed the less chance of any shifting occurring while in transit.
- If things are unable to be packed snug in the unit utilize the tie-down hooks located throughout the unit to secure belongings. Utilize rope or tie-down straps for this.
- Place large heavy furniture items or appliances in the storage unit first to form a base. Evenly distribute the weight throughout the storage unit. This will make things easier for the Badger Box delivery specialists to safely load and unload your portable storage unit from the truck and transport it to your final destination.
Tips For Protecting Your Belongings
- Where possible disassemble furniture before loading. This will not only make things lighter for moving but also help to prevent any damage in transit. Be sure to keep track of any disassembled pieces and hardware.
- Be sure to remove light bulbs and lampshades from lamps and pack them separately for protection.
- Bubble wrap, cardboard, and moving blankets should be utilized on glass items such as mirrors and pictures.
- Wrap wood furniture with moving blankets and stretch wrap to avoid damage.
- Use mattress covers for your mattresses.
- Utilize a disk lock to secure your portable storage unit.
If you are looking to list your house on the market staging and decluttering is a critical first step. Lydia Fields with Seaside Styling can help provide the expertise and guidance to help you get started and Badger Box can help make the moving and storage process a breeze. Give us a call today to see how we can help!