Once you receive your overseas deployment letter, you only have a few months or months to prepare, depending on the urgency of your deployment. Either way, you shouldn’t panic because you can use a self-storage unit to keep your belongings safe when you are gone. Since military troops are not supposed to carry large shipments of their belongings overseas, renting a storage unit is the only viable option.
When you are renting a storage unit for your overseas deployment storage, there are several important considerations you have to make. For instance, you have to determine what to carry and what to store. This helps you determine the size and type of storage unit you need to hire for your items. You also need to consider the accessibility and security of the storage unit you choose.
What to Carry When Deployed Overseas
Apart from your standard-issue equipment, you should carry several other important items with you, depending on whether you are going for the long haul or a short time. Here are some of the items you need to add to your bag when going overseas on active duty.
- Sunglasses–a pair of reliable sunglasses are important, especially if you are going somewhere bright, sunny with sand and dust.
- Jacket–don’t forget to carry a windbreaker, rain-slicker, or a simple throw-over jacket to protect you against harsh weather conditions.
- Boots–although you will be issued with boots during your deployment, you might want to carry an extra pair.
- Watch–have a watch with multiple time zones to help you keep track of time, especially if you want to stay in touch with people back home.
- Knife–don’t forget to bring a good knife along; you never know when you need it.
What Not to Carry On Your Overseas Deployment
The rule of thumb is that if you cannot afford to lose an item, leave it at home, but if you absolutely cannot do without it, take it with you. So, you might have to leave some of your valuable items behind. That’s where self-storage units come in handy.
Some of the things you need to keep in a storage unit include jewelry, electrical appliances, suitcases, cars, household items, among others. Thankfully, storage companies such as Badger Box have secure and reliable storage units for all kinds of valuables.