How to Pack a Mobile Storage Unit?
Mobile Storage Units are a perfect way of storing fragile and valuable personal belongings for a few weeks, months, or years while you are away from home. They are handy to families planning to travel out of the country for a while. Instead of loading your belongings to a truck when transporting them to a storage facility, you should rent a portable storage unit to make the work of loading and unloading easy.
Badger Box is the perfect solution for your moving and storage needs. With the delivery of our portable storage units straight to your home and ground level loading, moving has never been easier. Pack at your own pace at a time that is convenient for you with our cost-effective monthly rentals. We can move your Badger Box directly to your new residence or bring it back to our site for secure storage for as long as you need. There is no additional cost to store at the Badger Box site other than the two additional moves required (loaded move to lot and loaded move to new home). If you need assistance packing your Badger Box we can provide great local recommendations to make things easier.
But how do you ensure that all your valuable items fit into a single portable storage unit? This article gives you a few tips for packing a mobile storage unit while maximizing space. For packing on your own, here are some helpful tips for ensuring a smooth and stress-free move:
Use Uniform Boxes
To ensure that the space available in the portable storage container is appropriately and fully utilized, you should pack your items in boxes of the same size. Although all items can’t fit in the same size boxes, they help to have uniform boxes because they will leave no container space. The trick is to find the most versatile size and pack all boxes full. If there are spaces left in the container, fill them with pillows, sheets, duvets, blankets, curtains, etc. Though objects will vary in size, most will fit in uniform-sized boxes that will allow for an easier way to maximize your space within the mobile storage container.
It is challenging to fully pack a mobile storage unit when you start by creating a bottom layer. So, start from the back and fill the storage unit vertically. For instance, when you are loading furniture and mattresses, place them vertically rather than storing them flat because the vertical position is very effective in maximizing space.
Disassemble Your Furniture
It is important to disassemble your furniture if possible. This includes removing attachments such as table legs, couch legs, headboards, chairs, and so on. That way, your items will fit in the container better without leaving a lot of wasted space. First, look at your furniture and decide which parts can be removed safely without damages. Then, find the best way to fit them in the container for maximum efficiency.
Items such as pillows, mattresses, blankets, sweaters, beddings, and jackets consume a lot of space in inboxes. So, if you want to save space in your boxes, you need to vacuum seal these items. In addition to creating space in the boxes, this trick also helps keep the items clean and fresh. Also, use vacuum-sealed bags as fillers between boxes and furniture to maximize the available space.
- Stretch Wrap
- Bubble Wrap
- Mattress Cover
- Moving Blankets
- Rope or Tie Down Straps
- Disk Lock
Other Tips for Packing
- Utilizing boxes will help protect your belongings and make it easier to pack your unit by using with uniform shape containers. Wrap breakable items with bubble wrap and utilize packing paper if needed. Fill boxes completely to avoid shifting. Be sure to label your boxes so you can easily determine where things need to go when unloading.
- Boxes should be packed in the unit with the heaviest boxes on the bottom and lightest on top.
- Utilize all space within the unit the tighter things are packed the less chance of any shifting occurring while in transit.
- If things are unable to be packed snug in the unit utilize the tie-down hooks located throughout the unit to secure belongings. Utilize rope or tie-down straps for this.
- Place large heavy furniture items or appliances in the storage unit first to form a base. Where possible evenly distribute the weight throughout the storage unit. This will make things easier on the Badger Box delivery specialists to load and unload your portable storage unit safely from the truck.
Tips for Protection
- Where possible disassemble furniture before loading. This will make things lighter for moving as well as help to prevent any damage in transit. Be sure to keep track of any disassembled pieces and hardware.
- Be sure to remove light bulbs and lampshades from lamps and pack them separately to protect them during transit.
- Bubble wrap, cardboard and moving blankets should be utilized on glass items such as mirrors and pictures for protection. Utilizing stretch wrap or tape can help keep these protective items in place.
- Use moving blankets and tape to protect door frames and banisters in your home.
- Wrap wood furniture with moving blankets and stretch wrap.
- Use mattress covers for your mattresses.
- Utilize a disk lock to secure your portable storage unit. We offer these for sale and can bring with us on delivery!
For any of your home storage, business storage, moving storage, or even home selling storage needs, consider a mobile storage solution from Badger Box and Contact Us Today for a free breakdown of our fully transparent pricing and seamless delivery options!