Are you in the process of planning a home remodel? From planning to purchasing materials and finally getting started on your dream remodel of the home you’ve always wanted – this is a very big deal. And with so many details involved in making over any space or structure, it can be easy for things to get lost along the way! To help prevent losing control early into construction phases like these, we’ve developed an awesome checklist that will keep every aspect under tight rein while still empowering homeowners with ultimate decision-making power throughout each step (and giving them peace beforehand).
What to Expect with a Home Remodel
To avoid the emotional toll that remodeling can take, it’s important to prepare for less technical things as well. For example, painting a room or giving your patio an overhaul are two simple tasks that may not be stressful but will still require preparation before starting these projects! Here is what you should know about how best to handle difficult home improvements with grace.
- Something will go wrong, and that’s okay. Home remodeling is unpredictable. No matter how much you plan or how experienced your contractors are, there will always be issues that come up that you didn’t anticipate. The important thing is to not let these small setbacks derail your entire project! You will get sick of living in a construction zone. Home renovations are messy and can be disruptive to your daily routine. It’s important to have realistic expectations about the level of disruption that will occur and make sure to communicate this with everyone in your household beforehand. The project will take longer than expected (and cost more). Home improvement projects always take longer than initially planned and usually end up costing more too. By being prepared for these delays, you can avoid getting frustrated when they inevitably arise.
- Expect to compromise. Home remodeling is a collaborative process. You will be working with your contractors, designers, and maybe even family members to make decisions about your home. It’s important to remember that not everyone will have the same vision as you do and be open to compromise!
- Make arrangements for onsite storage. Home renovations usually create a lot of debris and waste. Make sure to have a plan for where this will go before construction starts! This could mean renting a dumpster or having a mobile self-storage container from Badger Box Storage for materials, tools, and personal belongings.
- Budget with care.Home remodeling projects can be expensive. Make sure to budget for the unexpected and have a little bit of wiggle room in your budget so that you’re not stressed about going over budget.
- Get organized. Home renovations usually require a lot of paperwork! From permits to design plans, there will be many documents that you need to keep track of throughout your project. Get a system in place from the start so that you don’t lose anything important along the way.
Getting Started With Renovating A House
Now let’s get into the nitty gritty with our step-by-step home renovation checklist! If you have never renovated your home before, it can be overwhelming to think about all the different aspects that need attention. This is why we recommend taking time beforehand and making a checklist of what needs to happen during each stage for things not only to go smoothly but also to look great!
The following checklist is a set of general guidelines designed to help you through your home renovation. Keep in mind that every house project is unique, so you’ll need to adjust or add to the checklist based on your specific circumstance. Let’s dive in!
Step 1: Plan Every Detail You Can
The first step is to sit down and think about what you want to accomplish with your home renovation. This means taking into consideration things like your budget, timeline, style preferences, and functional needs. Once you have a good idea of what you’re looking for, you can start to put together a plan of action!
If you’re not sure where to start, we recommend talking to a professional home remodeling contractor or designer. They will be able to help you flesh out your ideas and give you some great tips on how to make your vision a reality.
Step 2: Find Remodel Inspiration
Once you have a general idea of what you want to do, it’s time to start gathering inspiration! This can be from anywhere – home magazines, Pinterest, your friend’s houses, etc. The important thing is to start collecting images and ideas that you can reference when it comes time to make decisions about your home renovation.
Keep in mind that Instagram and Pinterest aren’t always telling or a good baseline for reality. Not everything you see online is what it seems. Yes, it’s certainly a good idea to draw inspiration from the internet, but also keep in mind that you should be realistic about your budget and specific situation. Not all of what you see online will be possible, and that’s okay. Not only that, but not all that you see online is real.
Step 3: Hire Professionals
This home renovation checklist would not be complete without mentioning the importance of hiring professionals! This is not a DIY project, so unless you have experience in home construction, we recommend finding qualified help.
The first professional you’ll need to hire is a general contractor. They will be responsible for coordinating all of the different tradespeople who will work on your home, as well as ordering materials and making sure that everything is done according to code.
You might also want to consider working with an interior designer, depending on the scope of your project. They can help you select finishes like paint colors, flooring, fixtures, and furniture that will tie the whole space together. Not to mention, they usually have great relationships with contractors and other home professionals, so they can help you get the best possible prices.
Step 4: Preparing for the Home Remodel
Now that you’ve hired a team of professionals, it’s time to start preparing your home for the renovation process. This means taking care of things like moving out any furniture or valuables that might be in the way, as well as making sure that your home is clean and clear of obstacles.
Rent A Portable Storage Container
The badger box portable container is a great way to protect your belongings while keeping them close by. With the unit delivered right outside of the home, there’s no need for long hauling across town! And if you’re working on something in between projects – just go out and get what you require from this convenient storage solution that can be used anywhere at any time without worrying about weather conditions or time limitations.
Make Living Arrangements
Depending on the magnitude of the remodel, you should also start making arrangements for where you’ll be living during the home remodel. If you have a friend or family member who is willing to let you stay with them, that’s great! Otherwise, you might want to look into renting a temporary apartment or Airbnb.
The important thing is to make sure that you have a plan in place so that you’re not scrambling at the last minute. Trust us, it’s not worth it.
Take Before Pictures
We can’t appreciate how far we’ve come if we don’t remember where we’ve been, right? Be sure to take plenty of pictures of your home before the remodeling process begins. This will help you not only track your progress but will also be a nice reminder of how far you’ve come once the project is complete.
Step 5: The Remodel Process
Now it’s time for the home remodel itself! This is the most important step in the process, but it’s also the part that will be over before you know it. Remember to take things one day at a time, and try to enjoy the process as much as possible. It can be stressful, but it’s also a lot of fun to see your home transform right before your eyes. During the remodeling process, here are a few tips to get you through.
- Be patient. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither is your home. Try to enjoy the process and take things one step at a time.
- Make sure you communicate with your contractors. If there’s something you want them to do differently, don’t be afraid to speak up!
- Be flexible. Things will inevitably come up that you didn’t plan for, so it’s important to be flexible and go with the flow.
Step 6: Celebrate Your New Renovation
After all of the hard work, it’s time to sit back and enjoy your new home! Whether you did the remodel yourself or hired a professional team, you should be proud of what you’ve accomplished. Pat yourself on the back and celebrate all of your hard work with a nice glass of wine in your brand new home.
We hope this home renovation checklist has been helpful as you start planning your next big project! Just remember to take things one step at a time and enjoy the process. Before you know it, your home will be exactly how you’ve always imagined.