Whether you’re moving, downsizing, or just trying to create more floor space during a renovation, a storage unit is a great solution. When it comes to storing your belongings, you have two basic options: portable storage or traditional self-storage. But which is the best option for you?
In this article, we’ll explore the advantages and disadvantages of both traditional storage units and portable storage units, so you can make an educated decision on which is best for you.
What is a Portable Storage Container?
A portable storage container is a large, weatherproof container that can be delivered right to your door. You can pack it at your own pace—no need to rush to get everything out of your old place before the movers arrive. Plus, you don’t have to worry about the weather or loading your belongings onto a truck.
When you’re ready, the portable storage company will come and pick up your container and take it to their facility for however long you need. When you’re ready to unpack your items at another location, the portable storage company will deliver your storage unit to the new address, and you can begin unpacking it at your leisure. Once it’s all unpacked, the company will then pick up the container.
Portable Storage Unit Pros and Cons
There are a lot of reasons why the portable storage model has become one of the most popular services for people trying to move. Here are some of the pros of using portable storage:
- Lower Moving Costs: Mobile storage units are often much cheaper than paying for traditional storage units. Not only that, but they cut down significantly on travel costs associated with driving back and forth to your unit, and you won’t have to worry about booking a truck to get your belongings to your new address since the mobile storage company will deliver your mobile storage container for you.
- Flexibility: When many people think of moving, they envision a highly stressful and rushed situation where they try to cram all their moving into only a few days to avoid paying higher rental fees for trucks and movers. With mobile storage units, this doesn’t have to be the case. Instead, you have the flexibility of loading your storage unit over some time.
- Multi-Use: Unlike traditional storage units that often come with a lot of limitations for what you can store in them, mobile storage units are far more flexible about what you can use them for. It’s not uncommon for people to use them to store estate items for an auction, or for contractors to use them for storing building materials.
- Easy to Pack: Not only can you pack your mobile storage unit over a period of time, but they are also very easy to pack. Badger Box Storage offers storage containers in different sizes and offers suggestions on what would work best based on your storage needs.
- No Hauling: The greatest advantage to using a mobile storage unit is that you won’t have to transfer your belongings from one address to another. Driving clunky trucks around town is no fun, and you won’t have to do that with mobile storage. Portable storage companies will send a team member to move your container once you’re done packing it. They can store it at their facility for a while, or deliver it to your new address right away.
- Limited Availability: Due to the popularity of mobile storage and the nature of the business model, there is usually less availability of portable storage units. It’s a good idea to book your container several weeks in advance to ensure that you will have it available during the time of your move.
- Lack of Climate Control: Most portable storage companies don’t offer climate-controlled units, so if you’re planning on storing anything temperature-sensitive, traditional storage might be a better option. That being said, Badger Box Storage units are different from most other portable containers because our units have built-in ventilation and anti condensation coatings, which helps regulate the temperature and humidity in our boxes much more so than our competitors.
Traditional Self-Storage Unit Pros and Cons
Traditional self-storage units might be the storage model you’re most used to. These are large facilities that house hundreds of units, sometimes on multiple floors. At traditional self-storage units, you can usually visit 24/7 and also have the option to choose from a range of sizes.
- Climate Control: Many storage facilities offer climate-controlled units, which can help protect your belongings from extreme temperatures and humidity. If you’re planning on storing anything temperature-sensitive, climate control is an important feature to look for.
- More Availability: Because traditional storage doesn’t require the same amount of coordination as portable storage, there is usually more availability. If you’re looking for a unit on short notice, it’s more likely that you’ll be able to find one at a traditional facility than with portable storage.
- Flexible Contracts: The contract terms at a traditional storage facility are usually flexible, but you may have to sign an extended lease depending on the company you go with. In most companies, you will have the option to do a month-to-month contract.
- Requires Hauling: One of the biggest downsides to traditional storage is that you will have to haul your belongings from your home or office to the facility. This can be time-consuming and expensive if you don’t already have a truck or van.
- Not as Secure: Because traditional self-storage units are often located in large facilities with hundreds of other units, they can be easier for thieves to target. If security is a top priority, portable storage might be a better option since it can be delivered right to your location.
- Moving Costs: One of the biggest drawbacks to using a traditional self-storage unit is the cost associated with getting your belongings to and from the facility. Not only do you have to rent a truck, but you also have to pay for gas and sometimes even hire movers to help load and unload your things.
As you can see, there are pros and cons to both portable storage and traditional storage. It’s important to weigh your options and decide which type of storage is best for your needs. If you need help deciding, feel free to reach out to us at Badger Box Storage. We would be happy to answer any of your questions!
Badger Box Storage is the solution for all your portable storage needs! We provide our customers with top-of-the-line customer service and high-quality portable storage units that are perfect for any situation – whether you’re downsizing, decluttering, moving, or remodeling. Contact us today to book your portable storage unit!